This lamp shade refashion was inspired by our Multi-Stripe fabric. We love this sturdy lamp that we got from that amazing Swedish home goods store. Maybe you've been similarly entranced by they're big yellow and blue sign and their low prices. Well we use our lamp every day, but it was starting to show. The fabric on the shade was still kinda white, however the masking tape that held it onto the shade was quite yellow. We needed to change that! We also used this opportunity to make a slight adjustment. We made it more bedtime friendly by adding in a layer of thin black out curtain liner. Can you see the difference?

Now let's get started!

After I removed all of the fabric and tape I traced the shade onto the black out liner. Once that piece was cut out I made a copy of the pattern piece on some old newspaper. The Multi-Stripe fabric has 5 panels, but one is smaller than the rest, so I would be cutting out 4 pieces. I folded the newspaper pattern piece in quarters so I would have even panels.

Now comes the tracing! I added onto the pattern piece by giving it a 1/4" seam allowance. This was mostly for the sides, not necessary for the top and bottom since we'll cover those up later. But if you wanted the bottom to have more of a "skirt" on the shade you could give it an allowance. I did this for all my pieces and sewed them together, giving them a press when I was done. The picture you see is before I sewed up the last seam.

Here's where you can get fancy with matching or coordinating trim. I sewed on a single-fold bias tape to the front that would take in the edge of the fabric. Now, I know this isn't how you normally use this kind of tape, but I was winging it for the look. I didn't want too much bulk so I sewed the top piece of tape to the top opening of the shade as shown in the first picture. Yes, it was very close to the edge, but if you take it slowly it works. I ended up giving it two rows of top-stitching, so it reinforces how tight of a basting stitch we did in the first place. Then I did the same to the bottom, but while top-stitching I threw in some decorative yarn!

Now we made the "shade" a piece of its own and didn't permanently attach it to the actual shade. This leaves you free to wash it when it gets dusty, or make a new one when your room needs sprucing up! Before I tried out my new lamp shade cover I glued that piece of black-out liner to the actual shade. Then the cover just stretches right over. All done! We'd love to hear from anyone who tries this tutorial out!

Leave a comment